1. BBMF flypast - Sunday, August 20th...
This year's BBMF flypast will take place at 15:35 on Sunday, August 20th. Full details of the aircraft expected will be reported when known.
2. Trip to Bentley Priory & the de Havilland Museum - Friday, September 8th 2017...
Our next trip is to Bentley Priory in Stanmore, north west London, followed by a visit to the de Havilland Aircraft Museum which is located next to Salisbury Hall off Junction 22, M25 in Hertfordshire.
Bentley Priory is an eighteenth/nineteenth century stately home and deer park in Stanmore. It was originally a medieval priory or cell of Augustinian Canons in Harrow Weald, then in Middlesex. There are no remains of the original priory, but it probably stood near Priory House, off Clamp Hill.
In 1775, Sir John Soane designed a large mansion house north of the original priory, called Bentley Priory, for the wealthy businessman James Duberley. This was added to throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries by various owners. It was significantly extended in 1788, again by Sir John Soane, for John Hamilton, 1st Marquess of Abercorn. The priory was the final home of the Dowager Queen Adelaide, queen consort of William IV, before her death there in 1849. It subsequently served as a hotel and girls' school before being acquired by the Royal Air Force in 1926.
In the Second World War, Bentley Priory was the headquarters of RAF Fighter Command, and it remained in RAF hands in various roles until 2008. As of 2013, the site has been sold to a developer and plans to convert some of the building to luxury apartments and build new houses have been approved and construction commenced. The Bentley Priory Battle of Britain Trust has secured part of the building to be used as a museum and memorial dedicated to those who served in the RAF.
The Museum explores the important Battle of Britain history of Bentley Priory through the stories of The One, The Few & The Many.
On arrival we will have time for some refreshments, followed by a guided tour which will take approx. an hour. On completion of the tour there will be time to look around further or time to visit the Museum café.
The de Havilland Aircraft Museum was the first aviation museum in Britain, when it opened to the public on 15 May 1959, just 18 years after the Mosquito Night Fighter W4052 had been flown out of adjacent fields by Geoffrey de Havilland Jnr.
Aviation first came to Salisbury Hall in October 1939 when the de Havilland Mosquito design team moved in as a security precaution against the British Government stopping work on the project. The Mosquito was designed initially as an unarmed high speed bomber, later being developed into the first multi-role combat aircraft, excelling in unarmed photo reconnaissance, night fighter, precision strike, intruder, and anti-shipping roles, amongst others. De Havilland finally left in 1947.
The Mosquito Prototype W4050 returned to become the first aviation exhibit housed in a hangar behind Salisbury Hall, saved for posterity under what was then known as the Mosquito Appeal Fund. The collection began to expand in early 1968 with the arrival of the Venom Night Fighter and a Vampire Trainer. In 1974 the freehold of the site was purchased and the collection expanded with additional de Havilland aircraft.
The name was changed to the Mosquito Aircraft Museum, and on Cup Final Day in 1974, the Supporters Society was formed. In 1977 the de Havilland Aircraft Museum Trust Ltd was formed to operate the museum, and gained charitable status. Over the next twenty or so years new additions to the museum included a Sea Vixen, Sea Venom, Comet 1 fuselage the major components of a Mosquito FB.VI, a Dragon Rapide, a pair of Doves, a Heron, a DH.125 business jet and the front fuselage of a Trident Two. The most recent addition is the fuselage of a BAe.146-100 airliner, completing the Hatfield jet airliner heritage.
On arrival we will again be given a guided tour of the Museum.
Parking as normal will be at the Portcullis field from where our coach will depart. Departure will be 09:00 sharp, returning for about 18:00.
The cost for this trip, which will cover the cost of the coach and your entrance fee(s), is £20 per head and is payable on the day. As we only have a 25 seater coach booked, I would advise booking early to avoid disappointment!
To book a seat, please contact Andy Spencer Jones either by telephone - 020 8660 3102 or email – firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Sky Heroes Day - Sunday, September 10th...
Full details for this event can be found on the Kenley Revival website by clicking here .
4. Remembrance Sunday...
The Annual Act of Remembrance will take place at the Tribute at 13:30 on Sunday, 12th November.